Re: Some question about fontsets

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Some question about fontsets
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:37:00 +0200

Shane McAndrew <test1dellboy3@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
[...]
> When I run "dict" in eshell, the phonetic characters (IPA symbols)
> don't display correctly. Here is the output -
>
> ~ $ dict exemple
> 1 definition found
>
> From French-English Freedict dictionary [fd-fra-eng]:
>
>   exemple [É.gzaÌ.pl]
>        example
>
> It also fails when run in xterm or gnome-terminal BUT it does display
> correctly in uxterm (Xterm Unicode). Also, I can see the IPA character
> set with the command "xfd -fn -etl-*-*-*". I am running Emacs 21.2.1
> on Debian/GNU Linux testing distribution.
>
> C-u C-x = reports the following on the first character after "exemple [" -
>
>   character: É (04311, 2249, 0x8c9)
>     charset: latin-iso8859-1
[...]

[Thanks for sending the output of `C-u C-x =' in the first place.]

This is not a problem with fontsets, but with process encoding. Emacs
interprets the output of "dict" wrongly as encoded in latin 1. (You
may have to change the fontset, too, but let's solve the encoding
problem first.)

Does it work to put either

;; Affects the communication with the "dict" program everywhere in
;; Emacs.
(push '("dict" . utf-8-unix) process-coding-system-alist)

or

;; Affects only Eshell, but there it affects all communication with
;; sub-processes.
(add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'default-process-coding-system)
                 '(utf-8-unix . utf-8-unix))))

into your .emacs?

If you happen to see hollow boxes now instead of garbage characters,
then we made progress and you have to change your fontset.

    Oliver
--
3 Prairial an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!