Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?

From: BK
Subject: Re: Is Emacs on Aqua crippleware or is it just broken?
Date: 7 May 2003 05:05:10 -0700

Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote ...

> Personal attacks just to get attention do not
> deserve a response.

There were no personal attacks.

As for not getting response to fix the problems, it is up to you. My
offer still stands. Any help I get to make it work will be included in
the documentation I am going to provide and the Emacs/ILISP/Lisp
commmunity stands to benefit as other people inexperienced in these
tools will find it easier to get past this roadblock.

OTOH, if I don't get any help I won't be able to document it properly
and it will be to the loss of the community.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have promised the authors of ILISP a
step-by-step guide for ILISP newbies using OSX, I wouldn't even care
to ask. I usually find another tool if something doesn't work right
away. This saves a lot of time and hassle. And if I can't find another
tool, I come back a year later and see if things work then. For what I
want to do, Alpaca seems sufficient.

If I needed this to earn money, I would either get the client to
purchase a commercial Lisp development system that includes an IDE or
I'd get them to hire someone to write a plug-in for BBEdit that
roughly does what ILISP does for Emacs. My experience has been that in
any commercial context this is the only approach that ensures delivery
in time and on budget. Remember what Gabriel said, "'Worse is better'
is better". He was right.

Anyway, I am not doing this for money. So, as for the documentation I
promised on how to setup Emacs/ILISP on OSX, it will be on a "best
effort only" basis and what "best effort" means depends to how much
help I will get fixing the problems I described.

rgds
bk