Re: How to bypass or correct an error. Control-u f rmail in emacs

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: How to bypass or correct an error. Control-u f rmail in emacs
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 12:20:54 -0600

Don Saklad wrote:

 For rmail in emacs

1. How do you fix things so you don't get this error?...

> 2. Or how do you bypass the error?...

I guess you're using sendmail.el, since /usr/lib/sendmail has a -t option:

     -t        Read message for recipients. To:,  Cc:,  and  Bcc:
               lines  will  be scanned for people to send to. The
               Bcc: line will be deleted before transmission. Any
               addresses in the argument list will be suppressed.
               The NoRecipientAction  Processing  Option  can  be
               used  to  change the behaviour when no legal reci-
               pients are included in the message.

Here's the relevant part of sendmail-send-it:

;;; ;; Get the addresses from the message ;;; ;; unless this is a resend. ;;; ;; We must not do that for a resend ;;; ;; because we would find the original addresses. ;;; ;; For a resend, include the specific addresses. ;;; (or resend-to-addresses
                                  '("-t")
;;; )

That code was commented out intentionally, but you could try undoing that:

2001-03-21  Gerd Moellmann  <gerd@gnu.org>
        * mail/sendmail.el (sendmail-send-it): Don't parse Resent-*
        headers.  Always invoke sendmail with option -t.

But I think it would be easier to avoid the problem altogether by using
smtpmail.el instead (read the comments at the top of that file to see how to
configure it).

The valid forwarding address was entered correctly.
But when trying to forward a message using the Resend to: function Control-u f
there appears to be an error...

"
 From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@gnu.org>
 Subject: Mail failure - ambiguous recipients

 A message that you sent using the -t command line option contained
 resent- headers. It is not clear who the recipient addresses are, so
 no delivery could be attempted.
"