Re: Prevent fill-paragraph from adding a newline?

From: Gerald Wildgruber
Subject: Re: Prevent fill-paragraph from adding a newline?
Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:02:17 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > This is with emacs 21.3.50.
>
> Then it should go to emacs-retest-bug@gnu.org.
> If you use M-x report-emacs-bug (which you should), it'll do that
> for you.
>
> > Every time I do a M-q (fill-paragraph) in text mode, emacs has this
> > annoying habit of silently adding a newline to the end of the paragraph.
>
> Sounds like a bug (and I'd be the one who introduced it, most likely).
> Please report the bug as mentioned above.

Stefan, thanks for your answer.

Actually I don't think that this problem has anything to do with my using a
CVS version. And probably it wasn't you either who introduced this behavior
:-) If I remember correctly, this adding of a newline has always been the
case with M-q since I used emacs. Also, I remember faintly that as this
question came up already a long time ago, a reason was given for it (not a
bug but a feature) but I cannot remember what exactly it was and I didn't
find it on google.

The adding of a newline only happens, if nothing follows the actual
paragraph, the one M-q is being applied to. If some text follows, no
additional newline is inserted.

Put point inside text near the end of buffer, do a M-q and after the last
letter an newline is automagically inserted. I don't know why.

My knowledge on the other hand of elisp is so pathetic that checking the
function in fill.el did not enlighten me.

Gerald