Re: Unable to use TAGS in xemacs

From: Joseph R. Kiniry
Subject: Re: Unable to use TAGS in xemacs
Date: 8 Apr 2003 07:50:33 -0700

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote in message
news:<877kb3vg28.fsf@tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>...

>     Ganesan> Thanks for your response. I downloaded the C-code from
>     Ganesan> the web for etags and used it. Is it different from the
>     Ganesan> emacs supplied one?
>
> There are perhaps four sources for etags: Exuberant ctags (I'm not
> absolutely sure they provide etags, but ISTR they do), Francisco
> Portorti's "canonical" Emacs etags, GNU Emacs (which tracks Portorti's
> version very closely), and XEmacs (which is synched to Portorti's
> version regularly, perhaps every 3 months or so).  The last three are
> 99% interoperable, Exuberant ctags is a quite different file format.

A bit of clarification: exuberant ctags provides full support for all
tags-based mechanisms in (x)emacs.  There are some issues with the
default settings for some customization, but it is easily tweaks.  I
highly recomend exuberant ctags as it provides comprehensive support
for a vast number of languages.  See the exuberant ctags FAQ for more
information on these (x)emacs-related issues:
http://ctags.sourceforge.net/faq.html

Joe Kiniry