Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question

From: Daniel R. Anderson
Subject: Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question
Date: 31 Mar 2003 10:32:18 +0000

<snip>
> > 1)  Every book ever written about technology is outdated before it gets
> > off the press
>
> True but this book is fairly outdated as it uses Emacs 19 which is two
> major versions behind the curve.
</snip>

Have you seen the book?  What is it that would go outdated?  Are you
trying to tell me C-x C-f doesn't open files anymore?  Or that when I
press C-v I don't just down the buffer a screen?  Run over the
changelogs.  You´ll see that there is not a whole lot that has changed
for the beginning user.

Grab a book on C written 10 years ago and you won´t see radical syntax
changes.  Programs might be optimized for hardware which today can be
gotten for free, but you could probably type in examples (so long as
they use standard libraries) into a modern compiler and they would work.

If needs be the old version 19 can be gotten off the ´net and whoever
was inquiring about help learning emacs can upgrade when he or she is
ready.

-Dan