M-x shell gives garbage ...

From: Peter Wu
Subject: M-x shell gives garbage ...
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:03:53 +0800

On Gentoo Linux, I installed GNU Emacs 21.3.50 on last night and tried to
M-x shell.

When I switch to that mode and type 'ls', it gives me the output in
garbage. This problem occurs both under text console and Gnome, no matter
what command I type, I get the bargage output. However, I can recognize
some part of the bargage as *useful* information. But, the output is just
unreadable. How to fix this? Thanks.

--
Peter Wu