Re: Word Completion by Association

From: Artist
Subject: Re: Word Completion by Association
Date: 5 Mar 2003 06:42:42 -0800

Edward O'Connor <oconnor@soe.ucsd.edu> wrote in message
news:<ddr89nj77o.fsf@oecpc11.ucsd.edu>...
> > Hi, You may call this method: Auto Abbreviation in a buffer.
> > When I type the text in buffer, it should automagically note
> > each word and figure out different combination of it, and make
> > combination index which when typed in buffer again should result
> > in uniq word.
>
> Maybe dabbrev-expand, bound to M-/ by default, does something of
> what you would like? Examples:
>
> When I type this, I get that
> da M-/            dabbrev-expand
> Ab M-/            Abbreviation
> di M-/            different
>

> Ted

I am well aware of this and it works fine for the string beginning.
I am looking for any characters in the string.

ex.. dfr SomeCommand =>  different
     dfn SomeCommand =>  different
     drnt SomeCommand => different
     vrb SomeCommand =>  abbreviation
     vxpd SomeCommand => dabbrev-expand

Thus the idea is provide multiple reference points for a string and
strings should be from limited scopes.

How difficult is to develop something like this? Any hints would be
useful.

Thanks,
[artist]