Re: Colorizing Emacs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Colorizing Emacs
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:42:03 +0100

Lucas <bonnet.lucas@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Un beau jour, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) nous a dit:
>
>> Hm.  Lessee now...
>>
>> ~/.Xresources has this:
>>
>> #define KAIFG black
>> #define KAIBG gainsboro
> Not so bad, I'll test for a few.
>
>> #define KAIBG_ALT grey
> Too sad :)
>
>> #define KAIBG_HILITE ghostwhite
> Highlight ? Highlight what ? :)
> Is there a way do define it in .emacs ?

Maybe it is used in places outside Emacs in my config.  For example,
KDE has these scrollable drop-down lists that one can select things
from.

>> Emacs*pointerColor:             KAIFG
> No way to do that on XP, bloody OS.
>
>> Emacs.pane.menubar.background:          KAIBG_ALT
>> Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonForeground:    red
>> Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonBackground:    green
> [...]
>
> Fruit Salad :) And still no way to do that *easily* on XP...

I think the red and green colors don't do anything.  But if it ever
does something, I will see it right away.

>> Emacs.fringe.attributeBackground:       KAIBG_ALT
>
> fringe ? You even set the border colour ? :)

See the Emacs 21 NEWS file (M-x view-emacs-news RET) for information
on the fringe.

It's not the border.

>> And ~/.emacs has this:
>>
>>   (set-mouse-color "black")
>>   (eval-after-load "custom"
>>     '(progn
>>        (set-face-bold-p 'custom-button-face t)))
> Face not found :(

Did you load custom.el first?

>>   ;; if font has no italic, use color
>>   (unless (condition-case nil
>>               (x-resolve-font-name
>>                (x-make-font-italic (x-get-resource "emacs" "font")))
> My Emacs tells that x-make-font-italic is obsolete, but I'm sure you've
> got a good reason to keep using it :)

Maybe I haven't used non-italic fonts in a while...

> Nice colours too :)

8-)