turning off the fringe.

From: ali rahimi
Subject: turning off the fringe.
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:39:43 -0500

Hello. I just installed emacs21 after some goading from people who like to
use fancier things than i like to use. The problem with a lot of fancy
is that they cost a lot money.

I run two emacs frames side by side, taking up my entire screen. I paid
about $1200 for my monitor (one of the fancier things in my office). It's
1280 pixels wide. After a quick back-of-the envelope calculation, I think
that these new fancy fringes are taking up a total of 52 pixels, which is
costing me about $50 in screen real estate every time i run emacs.

Being excessively penurious, I have to ask:

        How can I please turn off the fringes, but maybe turn them back
        on during gud mode?

Thank you,

 Ali.