Re: Another word for "path"?

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: Re: Another word for "path"?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:04:26 -0600

Kai Großjohann wrote:

Hm?  There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
normal names.  Normal names look like this:

   /method:user@host:/path/to/file

Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
left out something):

   /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file

In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".

So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
interpreted specially.

It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...
I agree that "localname" is confusing. It seems to me that "/path/to/file" is what the emacs documentation calls "directory", i.e. "directory/file". Also, the documentation mentions "absolute path name" which would start with either / or ~. I might further qualify it by "absolute/relative path name" when I'm referring to the concept of "directory/file". As a final thought, I have also struggled with the GNU Emacs/elisp Coding Standards and I think it would be helpful if they addressed both "path" and "file name" with examples that
demonstrate what the standards actually want (perhaps this will do :o).

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research