Re: Can I use OLE calls from emacs?

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: Can I use OLE calls from emacs?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:49:16 GMT

henrik.jonsson@se.transport.bombardier.com (Henrik Jönsson) writes:

> Is there a way to call OLE functions from inside emacs to control
> other Windows programs?

I asked this same question a while back.  My motive was wanting to
call msdn automation object from emacs so I could get sdk help on
(current-word) by hitting a key.

There is a zip file floating around called com-access.zip that has
some patches in it to allow instantiating and calling COM objects.
But it had a few caveats and problems that I couldn't live with.  I
don't remember exactly what as it was a while back, but take a look at
it.  It might work for you.

I went a different route and used a plugin framework written by
Steve Kemp.  Basically it's a patch to emacs (so you'd have to
re-compile), that allows you to call functions in a dll you write
marked extern.  I did this and basically wrote a wrapper that let me
call COM objects from within the plugin dll.

Look for dynamic.zip @

http://www.gnusoftware.com/Emacs/