Re: Loading local .emacs from remote machine

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Loading local .emacs from remote machine
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:45:10 -0500

David Kastrup at 01:50 (UTC+0100) on 5 Feb 2003 said:

= gebser@ameritech.net writes:
=
= > Kevin Rodgers at 16:30 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 said:
= >
= > = gebser@ameritech.net wrote:
= > =
= > = > Kai Großjohann at 18:30 (UTC+0100) on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 said:
= > = > = But the main problem is that tramp-shell-prompt-pattern is not
= > = > = supposed to be a list.  It's supposed to be a string.
= > = >
= > = > A string in elisp must be some really strange thing.
= > = >
= > = > (add-to-list 'tramp-shell-prompt-pattern "abc")
= > = >
= > = > also gives the same error.  It seems that everything and anything I put
into
= > = > the third arg is a listp.  It's a shame elisp is so obtuse.  I'd like
to learn
= > = > it so's to do some helpful work on emacs.  Several times I've tried to
do
= > = > simple things in elisp, following books and tutorials, but never had any
= > = > progress with it.  Maybe I need to be dyslexic.  :)
= > =
= > = Emacs Lisp is not Tcl, and a string is not a list.
= >
= > No argument here.  I'd even add that Emacs lisp isn't C, C++, java,
= > pascal, html, sh, bash, or perl.  But all these and many others have
= > pretty much the same syntax for a string.  You can go pretty far in any
= > of those-- at least assign a value to a variable-- just by knowing that
= > a string is zero or more characters enclosed in double quotes.
= >
= > Anyone have a similarly easy recipe for a string is in elisp?
=
= Pretty much the same.  Which is why you should not be using
= add-to-list on a string.

Thanks.

--
Happy Gui-Wei 4700