Re: visiting large zip file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: visiting large zip file
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:23:49 +0200 (IST)

On 3 Feb 2003, Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> wrote:

> > Actually, the Emacs mode that supports operations on *.zip files
> > _does_ read the whole zip file into a buffer; hence the problem.
>
> But I think Kin's point still holds: Emacs does not *need* to read
> the file, since it uses external tools to extract/list/...

I'm guessing that whoever wrote arc-mode tried to avoid external tools as
much as they could, since some of the wide-spread tools are not free
software, and the free ones might not be installed.  Also, IIRC arc-mode
allows you to edit the file's attributes in ways that might be
impossible with external tools.

Anyway, if someone wants to rewrite those parts of arc-mode to use
external tools, or perhaps fall back on that if the file's size is too
large for Emacs, I'm sure that would be a welcome addition.

> Contrary to tar-mode, for example.

tar-mode _could_ do the same (i.e. use the external `tar' program).