Re: placing cursor at *start* of match in incremental search

From: Ittay Dror
Subject: Re: placing cursor at *start* of match in incremental search
Date: 26 Jan 2003 08:28:41 +0200

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 15:58, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:58:46AM +0200, Ittay Dror wrote:
> > here are my 2c:
> > (defadvice isearch-search (after put-cursor-at-beginning last act)
> >   (if isearch-success (goto-char (match-beginning 0))))
> >
> > (defadvice isearch-repeat (before put-cursor-at-end first act)
> >   (goto-char  (match-end 0)))
> >
> > this will put the cursor at the start of the search *while* searching.
> > seems less confusing to me.
>
> Very cool!  This is now my favourite. :) Although, is there any way to prevent
> the flashing when typing in more letters?  As I add additional characters to
> the search, after each one all the current matches are erased, and after a
> small, but quite visible delay, the new ones show up... the default isearch
> doesn't do that.  Minor point, but I might as well ask since I'm getting such
> excellent suggestions. :)
this is the behavior of isearch even before my hack is applied. it is
because the highlighting of matches is done in a 'lazy' loop. try
setting isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay to 0 and increasing
isearch-lazy-highlight-max-at-a-time (you can also customize-group
isearch-lazy-highlight)

hope it helps,
ittay
--