Re: How to get rid of the tool bar

From: Zaphod Beeblebrox
Subject: Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:29:52 +1300

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:19:17 +1300, David Kastrup wrote:

> Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor anywhere else I've looked:
>>
>> I've used some of the functionality of GnuEmacs for the last 10 years
>> or so but I've never found the toolbar thing that appeared relatively
>> recently to be of any use.  What's more, I can't figure out what I can
>> do to stop it taking up space.
>
> 10 years, and you have not yet had the idea to read the NEWS file? If I

I *did* say *some* of the functionality.

It's only some because I've not spent the time wading into the
plethora of stuff Emacs is capable of.  I couldn't make use of the
information in the NEWS file (I don't even use the menus at the top).
All those references to lisp code assume knowledge I don't have and
don't help if I don't know where to use them.  My .emacs file doesn't
have any define-key statements, so I was reluctant to tinker with
structures I don't understand.  Most ideas I find to do things I'm
interested in seem to work in rather different ways, so I haven't
figured out a method in the madness yet.  Evidently, the NEWS file is
not referring to stuff for .Xdefaults which might have been a good
place to do something to achieve my aim.

However, adding the line

 (tool-bar-mode nil)

to my .emacs file is very simple and works fine for my purposes.
Thanks to Christopher J. White.

> am not mistaken, it is even announced on the splash screen.  It will
> tell you what is new, and how to disable it, too.

You are mistaken: it's not on the splash screen.

best