Newb, links + emacs

From: Lukasz Grabun
Subject: Newb, links + emacs
Date: 12 Jan 2003 12:23:42 +0100

        Hi,

        During recent years I've been using slrn + jed + screen combo
        which worked fine for me. But since screen somehow does not
        work on my Slackware box (bug with locale, anyone knows the
        solution for this?) I've decided to switch my beloved editor
        and newsreader for something new (namely: I wanted to have
        integrated environment, all things in one place). The choice
        was easy: emacs + gnus. I've configured all things and it
        works fine except one things: the browser. In every day
        browsing the Web I use links and since I am used to it I don't
        want to change to any other (lynx or w3). Here simple
        question/problem occurs: how does one integrate the thing with
        emacs?

        My first idea was to use (setq browse-url-generic-program
        "links") in .emacs file but this does not work; or rather:
        this works since links is listed in ps aux output but it is
        placed on some strange terminal which I can't make visible. My
        second idea was to search the Web; there I found links.el
        somewhere in the groups archives. This *does* work but it runs
        links in separate terminal which I don't like that much. I
        want to have my browser executed in the Emacs buffer as to
        copy/paste things from the webpage to the edited text for
        example. There's function links-browse-with-buffer (or
        similar) but this just copies the text from page to the buffer
        (at least in my case). Does anyone know any reasonable
        solution to this problem? Did anyone succeded in integrating
        links and emacs? I'll be most gratefull for any hints/tips you
        may have.

--
Lukasz Grabun
(reply-to field is fake, use grabek (at) acn dot waw dot pl to reply)