Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: 22 Dec 2002 11:54:22 +0900

Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> writes:
> Perhaps I have not made the mechanism clear. The idea was the makefile
> calls "gnu-install package version file dest", instead of install.sh
> or BSD install. This is a simple extension of what is already done
> today.

No, it's completely obvious what you meant; it's just that you're
over-specifying.  Such implementation details are up to the package
maintainers.

Similarly, the coding standards _don't_ say `you should use autoconf to
make a configure script' (even though that's certainly one of the best
ways to do it, and how it's almost always done), they just say `you
should have a configure script.'

> I would like to be able to force packages to use a tool that I trust.
> If it is easy enough to do, I would implement support for it and send
> patches to the maintainer.

If you personally don't want to trust anything that doesn't use a
`gnu-install' script, you're free to only use packages that do.

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"