Re: W3 on Mac OS X

From: Colin Fallon
Subject: Re: W3 on Mac OS X
Date: 20 Dec 2002 22:34:05 +0000

Edward Dodge <someone@g3.com> writes:

> Colin Fallon <colinf@mac.com> writes:
>
> > OK, I managed to track down the issue. W3 does not seem to cater for
> > the Mac and I have at least partly fixed this by adding the
> > following line to font-window-system-mappings in font.el
> >
> > (mac      . (x-font-create-name x-font-create-object))
> >
> > W3 now launches and seems to work.
>
> Could you give a quick step-by-step reference for those of us who have
> had far less success than you in making w3 work?
>
> Something along the lines of Andrew Choi's how-to for downloading and
> compiling EMACS from CVS:
>
>         http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/
>
> --
> Edward Dodge
>
> ------------
>
> /GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/

Hi Edward,

I will give it a go and write up what I have done to date. Hopefully,
I can find the time this weekend.

Colin
From: yuan@cs.umd.edu
Newsgroups: comp.emacs,gnu.emacs.help
Date: 20 Dec 2002 18:29:06 -0500
<1mznr0gz9l.fsf@Tempo.Update.UU.SE>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: M-TAB already used by KDE

Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> writes:

> >Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> writes:
> I found a picture of the space-cadet keyboard on the web:
>
> http://screenshots.sourceforge.net/misc/SpaceCadet1.jpg
>
> The web page says that this was used with LMI machines as well. It has
> Shift, Ctrl, Meta, Super, Hyper, Greek and Top. The X keyboard model
> is definitely not enough to support this keyboard.
>
> But anyway, since there is no specific name for mod5 there is no way
> to use five distinct modifiers (in addition to Shift and Ctlr) with
> Emacs, is there?
>
> With universal UTF-8 support just around the corner, people might
> want to put real alphas etc in their Tex/Nroff documents. Thus a
> Greek modifier is needed :-)

I have setup my pc101 keyboard to have Emacs recognized all Escape, Meta,
Alt, Control, Super, Hyper, Shift, etc etc.  Below is my ~/.Xmodmap, which
makes my keyboard look like this:

[Control]
[Shift]   .....................................[Shift]
[Fn/Multi] [Hyper] [Meta] [Space] [Alt] [Super]

I hope everyone adopt this map so there is nonzero chance that I'll still
be able to function when forced to use others' keyboard.  :)
clear Control
clear Lock
clear mod1
clear mod2
clear mod3
clear mod4
clear mod5

keysym Control_L = Hyper_L
keysym Control_R = Super_R
keysym Alt_L = Meta_L
keysym Meta_R = Alt_R
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L

! make the thinkpad Fn key double as multi key
keycode 227 = Multi_key

add Control = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add mod1 = Meta_L Meta_R Multi_key