Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Fredrik Staxeng
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: 19 Dec 2002 17:47:15 +0100

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

>Some people have said that package managers don't solve the problem for
>everyone.  But anyone embarking on coding a new `gnu-install' program
>should see these packagers as prior art and study them first.  They
>pretty much do all of the above already!

They do, but package managers support the packages. This way would be
the other way around, the packages support the package maintainer.
How many packages out there come with the debian/* files or the
*.rpmspec file, maintained by the original package maintainer?

This is similar to one of the big differences between Linux and Windows.
Linux supports the hardware, but the hardware supports Windows.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr