Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:49:49 +0100

Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> writes:

> I didn't keep a tally but here is an example. I recently I obtained a
> beta distribution (not emacs) which didn't work out (fair enough,
> that's a known risk in beta) and I deleted it. Or so I thought.

I run Linux instead of MacOS, but maybe this approach works there,
too?

At our site, we have a directory for software with subdirs for each
program, and subsubdirs for each version.  For example,

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/sw/emacs/21.2

is sufficient to configure Emacs in such a way that subsequent `make'
and `make install' can be undone easily by just removing the
directory /usr/sw/emacs/21.2.  This works because Emacs is the only
program in that directory.

It's a very simple approach, but it works well enough for us.