New to Gnus

From: Jeff Rancier
Subject: New to Gnus
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:11:20 GMT

Hi there,

I'm using WinXP pro, and I'm in the process of  eliminating Outlook Express
as my mail/news reader.  I've set my select-method in my ~/.gnus to

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

and start Gnus in my .emacs, via (gnus-other-frame).   So, thus far, I'm
using Gnus only to read the subscribed groups on that server.

A couple questions:

1. When I attempt to send a reply to an article, I get "Searching for
program: no such file or directory, fakemail.  My understanding is that Gnus
functionality for sending/replying is sufficient.  I can't see why loading a
different package in not necessary.  I didn't find any occurrences of
fakemail in the NTEmacs 21.2 distribution.  Reading the info for Gnus,
nothing stuck out for configuration/customization.

2.  When reading an HTML message, I was getting an error finding url-vars,
found it in W3, installed and configured W3, and now see the HTML, but only
the tags.  Should I expect this behaviour, or is there something I need to
load (in W3 or Gnus) from my .emacs to make this work?

3.  When Gnus starts in the other frame, I'm required to double click on the
title bar to be able to see the entire frame, i.e., the mode-line is beyond
the actual display size.  Is there anyway to have the other frame maximized
without double clicking on it.

4.  I frequently use gnuclientw.exe to launch source files, etc.  Is there a
way to force the new file to pop up in my main frame of NTEmacs, and not in
my Gnus frame?

--

Thanks,
Jeff