Re: The [(control i)] and [(tab)] problem

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: The [(control i)] and [(tab)] problem
Date: 04 Dec 2002 10:33:38 -0500

> I've tried to remap C-i several times in Emacs 21.1 with different methods,
> but obviously Emacs can't distinguish C-i from tab. The method described in
> info emacs didn't work. In XEmacs, C-i and tab can be remapped
> independently.

By default, the TAB key is remapped at a fairly low level
(i.e. in function-key-map) to C-i and then all "bindings to the TAB key"
are actually bindings to the C-i key.

You can remove the remapping from function-key-map (or more simply you
can define a binding for [tab] in the global map which will cause
the remapping to be ignored).

But note that many places will then change the C-i binding thinking
it also affects the TAB key.  That doesn't mean it won't work, but just
that you might find some bindings "missing" (you can of course fix them
manually).

        Stefan

PS: Note that on console or in an xterm, the TAB key and C-i are
    indistinguishable, so the above only applies to non-tty uses of Emacs.