Re: Help: ISPELL and Aqua EMACS (OSX)

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Help: ISPELL and Aqua EMACS (OSX)
Date: 25 Nov 2002 14:22:15 -0500

>> I'm not talking about my "shell environment" but about my
>> environment,
> As defined by shell variables -- thus, "shell environment".

No, environment variables are not the same as shell variables.
Shells muddy up the distinction between the two, so people often don't
understand that they are different, but think about what `export' in bash
and `setenv' in tcsh do.

> If you launch Emacs.app from a shell, directly or indirectly, you'll
> get what you want.  If you launch it from the Finder, you won't.  I
> don't know what else to tell you.

I fully understand that, but I want to set my locale and other env-vars at
one place and have them apply to all processes, whether launched from
a shell or not.  Hence my question: where can I setup my environment
other than in my .login since the .login is not always invoked ?

        Stefan

PS: XDM used to have the same kind of brain-damage.  I believe recent
RedHat configs fix that by always sourcing the .login when starting up
an X session such that those settings are then inherited by all processes
without the need to start them from a shell.