Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off

From: Elaine Sims
Subject: Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:38:39 GMT

Michael Slass  wrote:

>Elaine Sims <esims@mac.com> writes:
>
>>(Sorry for the double post - just found the correct newsgroup).
>>
>>I'm new to Xemacs and want to know if there is a way to undo Auto-Fill
>>mode after I've saved my doc and reopened it.

>Hi:
>
>It will be easier to give you a good answer with a more specific
>notion of your target.  Tell us what your ultimate goal is, and what's
>wrong with what emacs is doing for you now, (ie - what are you doing
>with the doc that makes you not like the line breaking?) and you're
>likely to get a good answer.
>
>--
>Mike Slass

I'm a writer.  And I have just started learning Xemacs and have found that it's
editing capabilities are superior to any wordprocessor I've ever used. (like
C-x-t, C-x-e, C-t, etc,etc).

But the problem is: typing in text-mode and seeing the little arrow at the end
of the line and the breaks mid-word  is a distraction.  I'm much more
comfortable looking at the screen in auto-fill mode.

But then if I open the text in a word processor (AbiWord, Word) it retains the
line breaks, which I have to manually delete to reform the paragraphs.  If I
have to do that to a 100,000 word manuscript I'll go crazy.

Actually the only reason I'm opening the file at all in a word processor is
because I haven't learned how to format and print out my manuscripts from
Xemacs (with double spacing and headers and page numbers) yet.

If I could do it all from within Xemacs that would be preferrable.

And I'm not adverse to learning a little LISP to do it.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Elaine