Re: face at point

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: face at point
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:13:55 +0300

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se>
> Date: 20 Nov 2002 14:37:52 +0100
>
> - A way to emulate tty color when on X. That is, an Emacs maintainer
>   could just do M-x color-restrict to see if his faces get mapped
>   reasonably.

What I normally do is run "emacs -nw" from xterm.  The CVS code has a
way of forcing Emacs on a tty to use 8 colors even if the display
supports more (some versions of xterm support up to 256 colors).
This option only works in a non-windowed session, thus -nw.

> - That Emacs consider both foreground and background pairs, and changes
>   those that has been troublesome. E.g yellow:white -> red:white.

This might or might not be a good idea, I really don't know.  Suppose
the user really wants yellow on white--is it okay for Emacs to "know
better"?

For the default faces, this is already done manually: when the X
definition maps to something barely readable, like yellow on white, a
tty-specific definition is introduced with different colors.

> - I also think that it would be good to have a color picker for X,
>   that lets the user select from the 6x6x6 cube, and possibly modifying
>   the color. This is a much better way of selecting colors than
>   reading rgb.txt and trial and error.

Emacs has `list-colors-display' and `list-faces-display' which I
think greatly simplify the process of customizing face colors.  Isn't
that a worthy equivalent of a color cube you envision?