Re: tramp: copying locally to remote and vice-versa

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp: copying locally to remote and vice-versa
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:35:38 +0100

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     I have a remote dired buffer open thanks to tramp and ssh, and I open a
> local one. Now I want to copy a local file to the remote session. I put the
> cursor on the local file and hit C for copy, and I'm prompted for the
> destination. Should it work if I just put in
>
> /user@address:/path?

That's supposed to work.  What happens when you try?

There might be a bug lurking in Emacs somewhere.  I remember there
were issues with copying from an Ange-FTP source to a Tramp target or
vice versa.

Now that I look at the code for copy-file, it says that it looks for
a filename handler for the source file first.  If none is found, it
looks for a filename handler for the target file.  So if both the
source and the target file have handlers, the first handler needs to
take care of communicating with the other handler.

kai