Multiple Emacs Clients

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Multiple Emacs Clients
Date: 04 Nov 2002 16:31:14 +0000

I would like to be able to get gnuclient to direct more than one emacs
at a time.

I normally have two emacs instances open at once. One for reading mail
and news, and one for everything else. The reason for this is that
sometimes connecting to the news server or mail server is slow, and
emacs hangs while this is happening. Also I use a different .emacs for
the mail client so it starts much faster (my main emacs often takes
several minutes to start as I use desktop, and often have many files
loaded).

I use gnuclient to direct the "everything else" emacs instance. Mostly
I use this for just opening files, but occasionally more complex
things.

I'm trying out using "galeon" as a web browser. It has nice support
for interpreting "mailto:"; tags by calling emacs via
gnuclient. Unfortunately this starts up in the wrong emacs.

I would like to maintain my two emacs system, and still be able to
launch mail with gnuclient.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how.

Cheers

Phil