Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X
Date: 27 Oct 2002 11:13:27 -0800

Hugo Wolf <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.net> writes:

> In article <mailman.1035672257.29530.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Eli
> Zaretskii wrote:
> > window-system ... is deprecated

This sounds like a bad idea to me (see below)

> Thank you. Finally a _sensible_ reason to avoid using this variable.
> Not because it's semantically or morally wrong, as has been claimed so
> far -- in fact, it's exactly right -- but because it's deprecated.  I
> probably shouldn't ask why this little issue wasn't mentioned earlier
> in the discussion...
>
> >      (and (eq system-type 'macos) (display-graphic-p))
>
> There's no logical difference I can see between this and (eq
> window-system 'mac) -- i.e., no circumstance I can imagine in which
> one would be true and the other false.  Can you think of one?  But if
> the emacs developer community is getting away from the use of
> window-system, that's reason enough to switch.

This doesn't let me differentiate between Carbon-Emacs on OS X, and
X11-Emacs on the same OS.  system-type is darwin on both, and
display-graphic-p is t on both.  However, it makes a lot of sense (to
me) that someone might want to make the Carbon one behave more like a
Carbon application, and the X11 one behave like an X11 application.
If window-system goes away, I'd have to resort to something truly evil
to determine which system I'm on.

Out of curiosity, why is it depricated?  Because people abuse it where
specific feature tests would be better?  If so, that seems like a bad
reason ... people can abuse anything, but AFAIK, window-system is the
only way to determine what window system you're on.  Or is there a
plan to replace this with a more competant introspection api?

[ It would be cool to be able to have something like a window-system-p
  function, so I could ask (window-system-p 'carbon) or
  (window-system-p 'x11) or (window-system-p 'gtk).  Especially
  because you could then be more specific, because a theoretical
  GTK-Emacs could run under X11 or a framebuffer or... ]

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |