Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers

From: ken
Subject: Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:48:21 -0400 (EDT)

You might be right.  I've got some alternate language sets installed.

Do a gcc on the file below:

<chars.c>
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
  int i;

  for(i = 1; i < 256; i++)
    printf("%3d\t%3o\t%c\n", i, i, i);

}
</chars.c>

then run the executable.  The columns are Decimal, Octal, and the
corresponding character.  Is octal 244 your Euro sign?

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> at 18:40 (UTC-0400) on 7 Oct 2002:

= >>>>> "ken" == ken  <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:
= > The octal for (the extended ASCII of) the Euro sign is 244.
=
= Sadly, this is meaningless because the octal code depends on the
= encoding used.  In cp1252 it's 128, in latin-9 is something else,
= in utf-8 it's yet something else, ...
=
= > So to get  it in emacs, do C-q 244 RETURN (or SPACE or whatever).
= > This works for  me.  I'm using 8859-1 encoding.
=
= No, you're not using 8859-1 encoding because that encoding does not have
= any Euro sign at all.
=
= I feel like I'm sounding very harsh, tho.  Maybe I've had a bad day,
= I don't know.  I apologize in advance.
=
=
=         Stefan
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list