Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:23:28 +0200

On 04 Oct 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I'm using NTEmacs 21.2 with Windows XP and the Oort Gnus 0.07.
Here the
> EUR-symbol is displayed automatically well.

Characters are never displayed "automatically": they're only
displayed if
 they are present in the buffer.

:-) Ok, i will try to be more precise: If a posting contains the EUR sign (€) then it is displayed automatically (means i have nothing to configure in Gnus for this) correctly in the summary-buffer as well as in the message- or article buffer.

> But if I'm not using Gnus but any other normal buffer in my
Emacs the
> EUR-Symbol is not displayed.

 What is displayed in its place ?

If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it to the clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer (e.g. *scratch*) then i get only \200.

> I suppose the reason is that i do not using a latin-15 charset
but
> a latin-1. The problem is that i want to use latin-15 instead
of latin-1
> but i do not know how?!

 Set your LANG envvar to de_DE@euro ?

Ok, after this my *current-language-environment* has value "Latin-9" which seems to be correct but nevertheless i have no success with inserting an EUR sign (€), neither by pasting from the clipboard (still getting \200) nor by hitting the key-combination (German keyboard: Alt Gr + e) which inserts € into a Word-document for example (in Emacs no reaction means nothing is inserted).

Is this clearer now?

Ciao,
Klaus

--