Re: iso-latin coding

From: Fredrik Staxeng
Subject: Re: iso-latin coding
Date: 06 Oct 2002 11:48:40 +0200

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de
> > Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:08:54 +0000 (GMT)
> >
> > I wonder where I can find some informations about the differences of all
> > those iso-latin-soandso ... so I can come up with a reasonable decision
> > which one to choose. I use a US keuyboard on a laptop but am to print 99%
> > in german language. So how can I tell emacs to allways use the proper
> > (which one?) coding when asked to save a file?
>
> "M-x set-language-environment RET German RET" should set up the
> appropriate defaults for you.

The web page http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html contains some
information on the different iso-8859:s, if you would like the details.
It's really not complicated, and it points out a number of design
features of the characters sets that it would be useful if Emacs knew.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr