Re: ftp from Emacs

From: ken
Subject: Re: ftp from Emacs
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:20:35 -0400 (EDT)

Looking at your output (below), specifically the line:

<snip>
230 User myname@myserver.com logged in.
</snip>

shows that you *are* logged in.  Put the cursor after the "ftp>" prompt
and type "pwd" and it should show you the current directory.  Or do
"stat" and you should get the output for that.  Now do "dir".  Do you
get a listing of the files in that directory?  If you don't, then do
"passive" and try again.  Note that you'll get all this same behaviour
if you ftp in, i.e., not in emacs, but just at the command line.

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Alex at 04:25 (UTC-0000) on Wed, 2 Oct 2002:

= Hi ken
= I actually have this line in .netrc:
= machine servername.com login myloginwith@sign password mypassword
=
=
= but Emacs just picks default username which I run it
= under telling me that .netrc "is not owned by you or
= badly protected".I swear I gave it full access (777)
= and it owned by user which runs Emacs.
=
= When I change ange-ftp-default-user to my login name like:
= (custom-declare-variable 'ange-ftp-default-user '"myusernamewith@sign"
= '(......
=
= it actually picks it up and asks for a password, connects and then errors
= with ange-ftp-error: FTP Error: USER request failed: 500 AUTH not
= understood.
= Here is ftp buffer log:
=
= ftp> open myserver.com
= Connected to myserver.com.
= 220 ProFTPD FTP Server ready.
= user "myname@myserver.com" Turtle Power!
= 500 AUTH not understood.
= 500 AUTH not understood.
= KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
= ftp> 331 Password required for myname@myserver.com.
= 230 User myname@myserver.com logged in.
= ftp>
=
= Any help would be greatly appreciated!
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
= ken wrote:
=
= >
= > You are giving the username on the remote machine, the one with the file
= > on it, right?
= >
= > Also, I've found it handy to use a ~/.netrc file-- emacs will/should
= > know about it and use it.  More info at "man netrc".
= >
=
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org