Re: pasting to emacs running in an xterm window

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: pasting to emacs running in an xterm window
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:37:14 GMT

In article <b00bb831.0209270909.61e8ffb8@posting.google.com>,
gnuist006 <gnuist006@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Objective: Bug free pasting to emacs running in an xterm window
>
>No problem when pasted to vim running in an xterm window.
>Thus I have to waste time and effort going back and forth
>between emacs and vim to do the editing and pasting respectively.

As long as the text you're pasting doesn't contain any control characters
(except newlines), I don't see why this should be a problem.

If it does contain control characters, Emacs will treat them exactly as if
you'd typed them, and execute them as commands.  When a program is running
in an xterm window, it can't tell the difference between pasted input and
keyboard input.

This is why it's usually preferable to run Emacs in its own window.  It
then has direct access to the X server, and can take full advantage of
this.  When running in an xterm, it's effectively limited to the
capabilities it has on a dumb terminal.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA