Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:05:03 +0300

> From: Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com>
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:00:18 +0900 (JST)
>
> This is also a true among my colleagues in East Asian studies who are using
> Emacs. Every one of them that I know who has handled the problem
> successfully has done so through the TEI extension. So until we hear
> otherwise from someone who has succeeded, and can tell us how, I would
> suggest that it is simply not doable with the present build of Emacs, and
> that we should just admit it.

Stefan already explained that UTF-8 support in Emacs 21.2 does not
include CJK characters.  (IIRC, there's an entry in etc/PROBLEMS about
that.)  However, your original complaint seemed to indicate that CJK
support doesn't work in general, not only in UTF-8 encoded files,
which is a much graver problem if it were true.