Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:26:50 +0900 (JST)

After Eli wrote ...

> Yes.  Don't you see that when you visit etc/HELLO?

I spent quite a bit of time trying to visit utf-8 files on my hard drives in
Emacs 21.2 without the TEI package loaded, and could not view East Asian fonts
in any of them, which is odd, in view of the fact that I can see them in the
HELLO file. Then I tried C-u C-x = on some of the characters in HELLO, and
got this interesting piece of information:

                (encoded by coding system iso-2022-7bit-unix)

Unless I am completely misunderstanding something (and I may well be, for I
am not a programmer) if this file is encoded as iso-2022-7bit, it seems that we
should not be using
it as a test example of utf-8 functionality. Am I right? I have written up
a small test file in utf-8 that contains just one line each of Korean, Japanese,
and Chinese, in case any one is interested in trying it. It displays for me
fine with TEI-Emacs installed, but as gibberish without it (Emacs 21.2 on Red
Hat
7.3). I have Mule installed in my regular Emacs package, as well as all the
necessary fonts.

http://www.acmuller.net/test.txt

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787