Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:35:35 +0000 (UTC)

Kai
 =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=
<grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>], who wrote in article
<vaf65wv3hjr.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>:
> Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:
>
> > SPECIFICS of the problem1: when asked to show cyrillic, it shows
> > cyrillic indeed.  However, the shown glyphs have no relationship to
> > the actual Cyrillic text (e.g., in the Hello, World example).  Do not
> > have a slightest idea how to report it in more details...
>
> IIRC, there are two popular encodings for Cyrillic

If you open `lynx', press `o', and go to `Display character set', you
will see that there are 4 "Russian" and 2 "Ukrainian" (and probably
around 7 more variants - but they probably are not widespread nowadays ;-).

, and maybe Emacs
> thinks it's using a font in the foo encoding but the real font is in
> the bar encoding?

Of course it does, what else could it be!  But how would I detect it
and/or fix it?

> Put point on a Cyrillic character and type C-u C-x =, this tells you
> stuff, including the charset that Emacs thinks this character is in.

Hmm?  You mean that doing "Hello world" demo, one gets different
results of your test on different machines?  Now I'm completely
confused...

Ilya