Reparsing local variables without reopening file?

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: Reparsing local variables without reopening file?
Date: 21 Sep 2002 21:13:41 +0200

Hi

I was changing a local variable for a test example when it occurred to
me that I didn't know how to make Emacs reparse them. For example:

  // Local Variables: ***
  // compile-command: "g++ test.cpp -o test -O3" ***

Now, one can save and kill the buffer and refind the file (or perhaps
even do a M-x revert-buffer); however, this seems silly. M-x apropos
gives hack-local-variables. But that is a function? What do the gurus
do? Or should hack-local-variables be a command (perhaps with a
somewhat more descriptive name :-)? Typing M-: (hack-local-variables)
is a little laborious.

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/