Re: trailing whitespace visible on some buffers

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Re: trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:46:41 +0400

Edward,

Thank you for your message (Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:57:12 GMT), in
which, among other things, you wrote:

   >> This is an elementary question, but I haven't found the
   >> solution of my problem.
   >>
   >> I want to set the buffer-local variable
   >> `show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers

   Edward> (setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t)

   >> except for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail
   >> presentation*.

   Edward> (let ((hook (lambda () (setq
   Edward> show-trailing-whitespace nil)))) (mapc (lambda
   Edward> (var) (add-hook var hook)) '(info-mode-hook
   Edward> calendar-mode-hook diary-hook)))

   Edward> Untested.

Well, I've tested it and, unfortunately, it doesn't work for
me. I don't understand why it doesn't work, since your
suggestion seems to be appropriate (given my limited knowledge
of lisp).

   Edward> Sorry, I don't know what the *mail presentation*
   Edward> buffer is.

I mean the presentation of my mail folders in VM (View Mail).

   Edward> HTH

On the basis of your suggestion I made some tests without
success. I always have to do `M-x set variable RET
show-trailing-whitespace RET nil RET' once per buffer to do
the trick. May be there are other suggestions?

Thank you
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.