From mode-line-format to string?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: From mode-line-format to string?
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:42:29 +0200

I have the need for a variable with some of the features from
mode-line-format.  In particular, I'd like the concatenation features
and the list-with-first-element-being-variable feature.

So processing the value ("a" "b") should result in the string "ab".
(That's concatenation.)

And processing the value ((foo "valfoo") (bar "valbar")) should
result in "valfoovalbar" if both variables foo and bar are non-nil.
Else if bar is nil and foo is non-nil, "valfoo" should result, else if
foo is nil and bar is non-nil, "valbar" should result.

Is there a Lisp function or library that does this?

kai