Re: Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:07:39 GMT

Jesse Mathias Marder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a built in function or a package to gnu emacs 21.2 that
> inserts the current date in the document, undepedent of the current
> major mode?

Here is something I use to insert the date/time:

(defvar le::date-formats
  '("%m/%d/%Y"
    "%m-%d-%Y"
    "%b/%d/%Y"
    "%b-%d-%Y"
    "%b %e, %Y"
    "%Y-%m-%d"
    "%a %b %e, %Y"
    "%A %B %e, %Y"
    "%a %d %b %Y"
    ))

(defvar le::time-formats
  '("%r %Z"
    "%r%z"
    "%I:%M %p %Z"
    "%I:%M %p%z"
    "%T %Z"
    "%T%z"
    "%R %Z"
    "%R%z"
    "T%T%z"
   ))

;;;###autoload
(defun le::insert-date ()
  "Offers date in various formats via completion.

Try <prioor> for menu selection"
  (interactive)
  (let ((time (current-time))
        date
        time
        completion-table)

    (setq completion-table (mapcar
                            #'(lambda (x)
                                (cons (format-time-string x time)
                                      (format-time-string x time)))
                            le::date-formats))
    (setq date (completing-read "date format: " completion-table nil t))

    (setq completion-table
          (mapcar
           #'(lambda (x)
               (cons (format-time-string x time)
                     (format-time-string x time)))
           le::time-formats))
    (setq time (completing-read
                (concat "[ " date " ] - time format: ")
                completion-table nil t))
    (insert (concat date
                    (when (and (> (length time) 0)
                               (numberp (aref time 0)))
                        " ")
                    time))))

> And besides that, I'd like to disable the yes/no question when killing
> a modified buffer,m or at least chatnge t it no y/n. How can I do
> this?

This will make all yes/no questions y/n questions.   There are ways of killing
modified buffers w/o confirmations, but that is very very dangerous...

(fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

> Thanks in anvance,

np.

--