Re: emacs startup times

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: emacs startup times
Date: 28 Jun 2002 11:24:53 +0900

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:
> Hmm, I cannot reproduce a significant difference now. Both take about
> 4 seconds to start on my P266 MMX / 64MB Notebook.

For a big difference between a _vendor_ emacs and your personally
installed version, I'd suspect the vendor's version doing something
stupid in `default.el' or `site-lisp.el'.

On a 1GHz PIII w/256MB of memory (but generally a rather crap system,
speedwise) I get the following results:

                With init file          Without init file (-q)
                X       No X (-nw)      X       No X (-nw)
emacs 20.7      0.68    0.27            0.40    0.05
emacs 21.3.50   0.73    0.42            0.29    0.07

[I executed the command `time emacs ...options... -f kill-emacs'
and used the `real' time, eyeball averaged over a bunch of runs.]

Note that if you have a very small .emacs file and don't use X, your
startup times should be very small indeed.... :-)

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.