thanks... RE: faces v. frames

From: Chris Seberino
Subject: thanks... RE: faces v. frames
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 19:36:58 -0800

Jay,

Thanks for the explanation.  To recap if I may: some colors are related to
"frames" and others are related to "faces".  The face related
color settings are automatically universal while the frame related ones
are NOT automatically universal.

It just so happens that modeline and mouse dragging
are associated with "faces".  That makes sense.

Sincerely,

Chris

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 04:40:18PM -0600, Bingham, Jay wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I just did some experimentation on my emacs running under Win2000, not
> that that should make any difference other than that is where I have
> colors defined.  Here is what I found.  If I create a new frame it is
> not created with the same background/foreground colors as the initial
> frame.  The region colors however are the same in both frames, i.e. the
> colors I defined in my .emacs.
> I went to the info pages and the emacs lisp reference and read what they
> say about the default-frame-alist and about frame parameters.
> When a new frame is created emacs assigns values to the frame-local
> variables from parameters to the make-frame function, then from the
> default-frame-alist, and finally from the X resources.  There is a long
> list of frame-local variables, there are five that define the colors of
> the frame: foreground-color, background-color, mouse-color, cursor-color
> and border-color.  Once the frame is created these variables can be set
> for an individual frame with the setq expression by executing the
> expression in the frame (which is what my .emacs does in the initial
> frame).  There is also a hook variable that can specify a function to
> run after a frame is created which can be used to modify frame
> variables.
> There is also an initial-frame-alist that can be used to make the first
> frame that is created by emacs different than the subsequent frames,
> which use the default-frame-alist.
> Since the region colors are not associated with a frame they are
> automatically universal.
> So there you have the explanation.
>
> J_)
> C_)ingham
> .    COMPAQ NonStop Integrity Systems
> .    Austin, TX
> . Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
> . Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire. -Dr. George W. Crane-

| Dr. Christian Seberino  || (619) 553-7940 (office1) |
| SPAWARSYSCEN 2733       || (619) 553-2564 (office2) |
| 53560 HULL ST           || (619) 553-6307 (fax)     |
| SAN DIEGO CA 92152-5001 || seberino@spawar.navy.mil |