Re: terminal settings question

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: terminal settings question
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:09:36 +0200

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 00:29:33 -0700, Chris Seberino <seberino@spawar.navy.mil>
wrote:

> Many (most?) terminal emulations mess up C-q and C-s.  Emacs
> even has a special macro to rebind these guys in the O'Reilly
> book I saw someplace.  I'm not sure why you didn't run into this
> problem.  When you type "stty -a" on your Linux box don't you
> see C-q and C-s bound to STOP and START?????

Emacs changes the terminal mode when it starts so most of what you see
is not relevant. Do a little test - run emacs -q and type C-h k C-q
You'll see that Emacs interpret C-q well. If it does not than it is
hardware problem (your terminal, terminal server or a concentrator
on your link to your server).

Remember - there are many characters with special meaning in terminal
mode (C-c, C-z, C-d, C-u, check your stty) but Emacs recognize them
all and is not affected by them.

However there is a serious limitation to Emcas capability to change
the terminal mode - it can do this ONLY on the local server. e.g. If
you telnet thru 3rd computer you cannot use C-] (telnet exit
character). If you connect to a computer with 7 bit only (stty strip)
and you rlogin to another computer and run Emacs there, you will not
be able to send 8 bit characters.

So, check your connection(s) the problems with C-q are not Emacs's.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign