VM and Emacs

From: Markus Wawryniuk
Subject: VM and Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:40:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have trouble to read emails using VM in html-format. E.g. the buffer
contains

HTML, iso-8859-1                    [Click mouse-2 to display text].

Then I press $ e to start netscape to view the message. The problems
are:

1. If there is a running netscape, only a new netscape window with my
initial homepage pops up. The message is not displayed.

2. If there is not a running netscape, the message is displayed via a
file in /tmp - but without the *.html extension. For this reason the
message is not displayed properly sometimes (I see the html source
code).

My questions:

1. How can I force vm to save the temporary files with the particular
extension?

2. How can I force netscape to show the file, despite running
instances (maybe not using the cache)?

I am using VM 6.75. and >> XEmacs 21.1 (patch 14) "Cuyahoga Valley"
[Lucid] (i386-suse-linux, Mule) of Wed May 16 2001 on knuth <<. There
are a lot of differences regarding the manual and reality. For
instance the variable vm-mime-attachment-auto-suffix-alist does not
exists. And a definition with ("text/html" . ".html") does not help -
as solution for question 1.

Thanks,
Markus

PS: I did not find any mailing lists for VM. So I try to get your
help.

Markus Wawryniuk
Computer & Information Science
University of Konstanz
Universitätsstr. 10 - D78    e-mail: wawryniu@informatik.uni-konstanz.de
78457 Konstanz               phone:  ++49-7531-88-3070
Germany                      fax:    ++49-7531-88-3062