[Help-glpk] Using CBC with GLPK

From: Greg Gruber
Subject: [Help-glpk] Using CBC with GLPK
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:51:19 -0500

Hello,

I have a MIP that I am solving, and with some instances I cannot get a solution using glpsol.  CBC seems to solve my problem well, however I MUCH prefer the flexibility and readability of GMPL files for my modelling, not to mention the ability to create custom output files.  I figured out to do the following:

>glpsol  -m foo.mod -d foo.dat --wfreemps foo.mps --check

this writes the model out in the wfreemps format (which gives variable names; "regular" mps format did not give variable names). Then I can do

> cbc foo.mps solution sol.txt

This works ok -- the probelm solves, and I get a solution file in sol.txt that I can interpret, but I will have to write some custom code to parse it and create a useful output report.

Does anybody have any better ideas?  Ideally, I would like to both formulate my model and create my output report in GMPL.

Thanks for all of the great work -- GLPK is a fantastic tool.

Greg