Re: [Help-glpk] timing

From: glpk xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] timing
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 22:36:35 +0100

Hello Serveh,

extra.time is determined by coding that is not part of the glpk
package but of octave.

You can find the relevant code in
octave-3.2.4.tar\octave-3.2.4\src\DLD-FUNCTIONS\__glpk__.cc

double *time;
clock_t t_start = clock();
*time = (clock () - t_start) / CLOCKS_PER_SEC;
extra.assign ("time", octave_value (time));

Clocks_per_sec is only a multiplier not the resolution of the
clock() function.

ISO 9899 says:
The clock function returns the implementation’s best approximation
to the processor time used by the program since the beginning of
an implementation-defined era related only to the program invocation.

So clocks_per_sec may be 1000 but clock() may be incremented
once a second only. This is operating system dependent.

Try your code on a problem that needs several seconds
to solve.

If you still get extra.time = 0, please, post you problem to
the octave list.

Best regards

Xypron

-------- Original-Nachricht --------