Re: [Help-glpk] Linear Programming in Java using GLPK and MathProg

From: i.van.baren
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Linear Programming in Java using GLPK and MathProg
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:23:00 +0100

Hi Andrew,

The point here is that GLPK has no api routines available to map MathProg
variable and index name to the associated column number in the resulting MIP or
LP problem. Only this mapping would help Benson to read the values of the
objective function and the decision variables without parsing the output file.

Following your declarative approach of MathProg, I guess that Benson has to
find another way to extract the solution components from a MathProg model in
GLPK. In my previous response to his question I formulated a possible solution
with xml files.

In this solution you create a xml file as output of the MathProg program with a
self made tag and tree structure. For reading xml files Java has many routines
available. So, accessing the xml file with the appropriate variable tag will
give the required value.

I hope this clarifies the discussion. I can remember a previous discussion
thread about this subject.

Best regards,

Ivo van Baren
Netherlands