[Help-glpk] generalized branching with IOS

From: Rafael Ávila de Espíndola
Subject: [Help-glpk] generalized branching with IOS
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:04:06 -0200

I have a particular problem (register coloring) that I am trying to solve with
a branch-and-price algorithm. Each column is an independent set.

I was looking at the IOS API and the column generation part is simple. The
problem is that it is very inconvenient to branch in one of the variables. It
would mean to fix a independent set an being present or not in the final
solution. The branches are very unbalanced and, in the case a column is fixed
in 0, it is hard to make sure that another identical column will not be
generated.

Has someone already used a generalized branch with IOS? What do you think
about a
void ios_generazed_branch(IOS *ios, int ne, double *v, double rhs, int next);

that would add the row ( v <= rhs) to one branch and the row (v >= rhs + 1) to
the other?

Thanks,
Rafael