help-global

why are "references" restricted to symbols for which we have definitions

From: Gautam Thaker
Subject: why are "references" restricted to symbols for which we have definitions?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 14:22:47 -0500

From man page for global:

-r, --reference, --rootdir
              Print  reference tags.  Reference means the reference to a symbol which has definitions.  With the -p option, print the root directory of
              the project.

I have  a use case where I want to know all function/method calls in my large source tree. I don't have all functions defined, but I would like to still know/find these symbols.

Is this possible? I have read that C++ parser seems to be on way to deprecation (!!), are there other means possible to seek out even undefined references?

Thanks.